Friday, June 28, 2013

2013 in Movies #4

Reprise


It has become an almost schedule for me to watch foreign films on netflix late at night because I have been having trouble sleeping for the past week.
Last night I watched Reprise, a film staring the same main character as the film the night before; Oslo August 31st, also with the same director: Joachim Trier.
Going into this film I didn't doubt that it would be just as genius and magnificent as the other. The title actor Anders Danielsen Lie did not disappoint with a great job performing as a young writer struggling with overnight success and psychosis. For me I feel the longing for life, to do things, to be someone because I am at this new point in my life where I just want to go out and find myself and I feel like that is what this film is all about.
It was superb and I definitely would recommend it, it is a bit confusing but at the end you understand.

“Reprise” is as energetic and digressive as its director, leaping ahead and circling back, dropping in jump cuts and freeze frames.
The movie’s restlessness matched the mood of the characters. “It’s about young people who can’t really live in the present,” he said. “They’re either thinking about what their lives will be like or they’re looking back and trying to relive something.”


On a side note they had a lot of music in it I loved!
One of my favorite bands Joy Division was featured in it and they even wear the two most popular shirts of the band.
The trailer has Le Tigre's song Deceptacon in it which has that heavy bass line post punk feel similar to Joy Division who was famous in the late '70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment